Climate Impacts on Vector-Borne Disease
Associate Research Scientist
Energy, Environment and Water Research Center
The Cyprus Institute
Role and main activities in AIM-COST
Leader of Task 1.2 - Integrating surveillance data analysis, spatial modelling & mapping
Kamil Erguler (PI) is an Associate Research Scientist at The Cyprus Institute (CyI) with 10 years of experience in mathematical modelling and analysis of biological systems. He was trained in Molecular Biology and Genetics at Middle East Technical University, Ankara, and at the University of California, Berkeley, CA. He received an MRes degree in Biochemical Research and an MSc degree in Bioinformatics and Theoretical Systems Biology from Imperial College London (IC). He was awarded a PhD degree in 2010 for his work on the mathematical modelling and dynamics of biochemical systems at IC. At CyI, he works on modelling the environmental dependence of vector populations, dynamics of vector-borne diseases, and impacts of climate on global disease burden. He is the lead developer of MozzyJet an aerial vehicle for targeted, environmentally friendly, and low-cost mosquito control.
Five recent and relevant publications
- Erguler, K., Pontiki, I., Zittis, G., Proestos, Y., Christodoulou, V., Tsirigotakis, N., Antoniou, M., Kasap, O. E., Alten, B. & Lelieveld, J. A climate-driven and field data-assimilated population dynamics model of sand flies. Scientific Reports 9, 2469. issn: 2045-2322. http://www.nature.com/ articles/s41598-019-38994-w (2019).
- Erguler, K. sPop: Age-structured discrete-time population dynamics model in C, Python, and R. F1000Research 7, 1220. issn: 2046-140 https: //f1000research.com/articles/7-1220/v1 (2018).
- Erguler, K., Chandra, N. N. L., Proestos, Y., Lelieveld, J., Christophides, G. G. K. & Parham, P. P. E. A large-scale stochastic spatiotemporal model for Aedes albopictus-borne chikungunya epidemiology. PLoS One 12, e017429 issn: 1932-6203. http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0174293 (2017).
- Erguler, K., Smith-Unna, S. E., Waldock, J., Proestos, Y., Christophides, G. K., Lelieveld, J. & Parham, P. E. Large-scale modelling of the environmentally- driven population dynamics of temperate Aedes albopictus (Skuse). PLoS One 11. issn: 19326203 (2016).
- Proestos, Y., Christophides, G. K., Erguler, K., Tanarhte, M., Waldock, J. & Lelieveld, J. Present and future projections of habitat suitability of the Asian tiger mosquito, a vector of viral pathogens, from global climate simulation. Philos Trans R Soc Lond, B, Biol Sci 370. issn: 14712970 (2015).