Dr Jolyon MEDLOCK, BSc, MSc, PhD, FRES, FRSB
Public Health England (Emergency Response Department) Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire. SP4 0JG. United Kingdom
Role and main activities in AIMCOST
MC member (UK)
WG 3 member and deputy
Sub‐task 3.1 deputy leader.
- Medical Entomologist/Parasitologist, leading Medical Entomology group (since 2002) at Public Health England, an executive agency of the UK Department of Health.
- Published extensively (>100 peer reviewed papers/book chapters) on vector-borne diseases
- 20 years extensive field experience of infectious disease ecology in UK, Europe, Africa & Caribbean.
- Coordinate UK surveillance on endemic and non-native ticks and mosquitoes (Lyme borreliosis, rickettsiosis, West Nile virus, Zika, chikungunya, dengue), as well as leading European-wide tick surveillance projects (VECTORNET, VBORNET)
- Advise UK government and European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control on vector-related issues.
- Research interests include impact of climate change, environmental change and habitat management on the changing status of vector-borne disease, including developing management guidelines (wetland management and mosquitoes; woodland management and ticks/Lyme) and understanding vector-borne disease transmission cycles and their control.
- Overseas field experience in malaria control in Africa; surveillance, management and PH risk assessment of tick-borne diseases in Europe; and surveillance and control of Zika/dengue/chikungunya vectors in the Caribbean
Five recent and relevant publications
- Medlock JM, Hansford KM, Schaffner F, Versteirt V, Hendrickx G, Zeller H, Van Bortel W. A review of the invasive mosquitoes in Europe: ecology, public health risks, and control options. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2012 Jun;12(6):435-47. doi: 10.1089/vbz.2011.0814. Epub 2012a Apr 20. Review.
- Schaffner F, Medlock JM, Van Bortel W. Public health significance of invasive mosquitoes in Europe. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013 Aug;19(8):685-92. doi: 10.1111/1469-0691.12189. Epub 2013 Apr 10. Review.
- Medlock JM, Hansford KM, Versteirt V, Cull B, Kampen H, Fontenille D, Hendrickx G, Zeller H, Van Bortel W, Schaffner F. An entomological review of invasive mosquitoes in Europe. Bull Entomol Res. 2015 Dec; 105(6):637-63. doi: 10.1017/S0007485315000103. Epub 2015 Mar 25. Review.
- Medlock JM, Leach SA. Effect of climate change on vector-borne disease risk in the UK. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015 Jun;15(6):721-30. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(15)70091-5. Epub 2015 Mar 23. Review.
- Medlock JM, Vaux AG, Cull B, Schaffner F, Gillingham E, Pfluger V, Leach S. Detection of the invasive mosquito species Aedes albopictus in southern England. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017a Feb;17(2):140. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(17)30024-