United States Department of Agriculture – Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS)
European Biological Control Laboratory (EBCL)
Role and main activities in AIMCOST
Task 2.2 – Leader and/or Deputy Leader
Dr. Alexandra Chaskopoulou is a Research Entomologist for the European Biological Control Laboratory of USDA-ARS located at Thessaloniki, Greece. Alexandra has earned her Masters and Ph.D. from University of Florida with a specialty in Medical Entomology. Upon graduation in 2010 Alex worked as a research scientist for the Department of Entomology at University of Florida and in 2014 accepted a new position with USDA-ARS EBCL. Her research is focused on developing novel approaches to combat public health vectors primarily mosquitoes and sand flies. Her primary research interests involve epidemiology of vector borne diseases, vector ecology, and vector management technologies. Throughout her career Dr. Chaskopoulou has worked with a diverse group of academic, governmental and private institutions on a global basis including the Unite States, Greece, France, Turkey, Israel, Italy, Albania and Serbia. She has published her work in a variety of peer-reviewed journals in the fields of entomology, ecology, vector control and epidemiology.
Five recent and relevant publications
- Groen T, L’Ambert G, Bellini R, Chaskopoulou A, Bicout D. 2017. Ecology of West Nile virus across four European countries: Empirical modeling of Culex pipiens abundance dynamics as a function of weather. Parasites & Vectors. 10(1):524
- Grigoraki L, Pipini D, Labbé P, Chaskopoulou A, Weill M, Vontas J. 2017. Carboxylesterase gene amplifications associated with insecticide resistance in Aedes albopictus: Geographical distribution and evolutionary origin. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 11(4), p.e0005533.
- Fotakis EA, Chaskopoulou A, Grigoraki L, Tsiamantas A, Kounadi S, Georgiou L, Vontas J. 2017. Analysis of population structure and insecticide resistance in mosquitoes of the genus Culex, Anopheles and Aedes from different environments of Greece with a history of mosquito borne disease transmission. Acta Trop. 174:29-37. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2017.06.005.
- Parker C, Pereira R, Baldwin R, Chaskopoulou A, Koehler P. 2017. Laboratory evaluation of a novel lethal ovitrap for control of Aedes aegypti. J Medical Entomology. doi: 10.1093/jme/tjx161
- Chaskopoulou A, L’Ambert G, Petric D, Bellini R, Zgomba M, Groen TA, Marrama, Bicout DJ. 2016. Ecology of West Nile virus across four European countries: Review of weather profiles, vector population dynamics & vector control response. Parasites & Vectors. 9:482